Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

"The Path"
9" x 12" Oil on Canvas Panel

You know, I'm really looking forward to this new year! Lots of changes coming - and lots of new things to learn.

I'm at an uncomfortable place in my painting right now. It's kinda like having a new job -- in the beginning, everything is new and exciting, and you can't wait to get into work every day. Everyone is telling you how great you are and how happy they are that you are there! It's quite a High! And then, one day, you realize that you don't have the faintest idea what you are doing, but your bosses expect you to know it all by now! And the doubt starts creeping in (just what were you thinking -- quitting your old job and starting something new, at your age!!)

So now, I've learned to put paint on canvas, and paint some "ok" paintings, but I'm not happy with what I've done lately. I've started judging myself against people who have been doing this all their adult lives! Time to give myself a break! I guess that's what I get for trolling the internet all the time, looking and admiring all the terrific art that's out there!

So now it's back to being open to learning new tricks and keep on painting until I find what it is that I think that I'm lacking. Self Doubt and Impatience -- not a pretty pair! Stay tuned to see if I make it! :)


No comments: