Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Experiment

7" x 10" Watercolor
Today in Pat's class we did a little experimenting. She brought in several black & white photos, blown up to 8x10's. We took little squares of paper and found interesting shapes in the photos - then we painted them, using our own colors, and adding or subtracting anything we wanted. I found this to be quite interesting - I think it will be a way for me to start branching out into abstracts, without having to come up with my own composition (that's always the hard part for me!). Yesterday, I tried another pour - I wanted to make a lightning sky -- but it just didn't work as well as the flower. Again, I think it was my lack of coming up with a good design. I'll try something else later!

3 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

So interesting Nancy. That orange streak makes it. And what a neat way to 'start' an abstract. Who'da thunk it!!!! I've never tried an abstract although I'm sure some of mine look like "what the heck is that supposed to be"?

Autumn Leaves said...

Hi Nancy. This reminds me of an assignment we had to do back when I was taking an art class at PLU. Our prof passed out one inch squares that he'd cut from magazine images and we had to blow it up into a full sized drawing. They became pretty cool abstract pieces and it was sure fun.

Ralph said...

Please do not worry about design in abstract it seems to me that is a very very good abstract and says everything you might want it to say. All of the abstracts I have tried to work designs on have ended up looking contrived please please stick with it wish my abstracts were as good.