Monday, June 28, 2010

Present in the Mail!

My friend and fellow blogger, Barbra Joan, sent me this exquisite hand-painted recipe card in the mail this week. She is just amazing! Not only is she a very talented artist, but a terrific "crafter" - everything she touches just has the coolest look! Anyway - this came with a recipe for Peanut Butter Pie! I made it today - we'll have some after dinner - and I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sunday Afternoon

12" x 16" Watercolor
This is another practice piece from a book by Charles Evans. I've wanted to paint it ever since I bought the book - over a year ago. I always decided not to, because I was intimidated by painting the figures on the path. I know - they're just little blobs of paint, but like buildings, I just didn't have the confidance to do it right! So, I think it did it ok - maybe I'll try something like this again!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chicken Head

Remember back in May, when I did the crepe paper experiment that was supposed to be Iris and turned out to be butterflies? And, I had started a companion piece (one I hoped would be framed and hang next to them). Well, it didn't quit turn out as expected! As I was trying to find the flowers in that piece, one of my classmates exclaimed - "There's a chicken head here!"

Lo and behold - with some of the gauze, I had inadvertantly created a perfect outline of a Chicken Head! So, I tried to somehow incorporate it into the finished painting - but it just looked stupid! See?

So, we decided that maybe I will need to crop the painting - and maybe it will work like that. Just not what I wanted to do. But, we'll see. I think it will spend a lot more time in my studio. I just can't make a decision yet.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Behind the Veil

9" x 12" Watercolor
Ok, so this one is a little "out there"! It started out as an experiment using foil over a wash, and letting it dry. Of course, mine didn't turn out anything like the beautiful example in the book - so I figured that I would scrap it. But then, I noticed this forlorn face in the center of it all, and all the vertical paints, and I just started fiddling with it. I wasn't sure what it would be, and then it spoke to me - a sad woman behind all the layers (or veils) that life had put upon her. Whadda ya think?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sewing Curtains

Since I had no painting class this week, I've been sewing, not painting! These poor windows have never had curtains on them since I moved into this house in 2002! I just couldn't visualize what I wanted here. But, after we painted the room, I saw curtains like these in a magazine set into windows like these -- and I loved the look! So, I found some fabulous batik fabric, and made some! I love them -- they make me think of little sundresses for my windows!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Practice Pieces

" The Pears"

"Old Blue Eyes"

I painted these today in Pat's class. Not every painting has to be matted and framed - I did these because I needed the practice! The pears were from a book by Brigit O'Connor, and I took the kitty from a photo on Wet Canvas. We won't have class for the next 2 weeks! I hope I can make myself paint.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Work of Art

Just wanted to let you know (or remind you if you do) that on Wednesday night (6/9), " Work of Art" - a reality show for artists will start airing on Bravo at 11 pm, Eastern time. There's a funny blurb about it in this week's TV Guide: "The series may sound as fun as watching paint dry to art-scene newbies, but trust us, once these creative types start crafting their masterpieces and criticizing each other, thing get crazier than Van Gogh before he sliced off his ear!" You can check it out at:

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Paper Bag Experiment

I haven't been painting much - last week the painters came, and left after 3 days. I'm still trying to get everything put back together! Also, a couple of grandkids have come to stay for a few days - so everything else is put on hold!

Last Tuesday, Pat gave us all a brown paper lunch bag. We opened it up, then wadded it up, then made it stand up. First, we had to make a drawing of the bag on regular paper. Then, we painted the bag on watercolor paper - using no drawing, just painting form and shapes. It certainly was an interesting experience!

I worked some on the tulips from the previous post. It's a little harder than the butterflies, cause instead of negative painting, I have to do positive painting! Go figure! It's still in the ugly stage, though. Not sure when it will ever see the light of day!